If you come into contact with the public, consider public liability insurance. This is designed to cover claims from anyone you encounter professionally, whether they are a customer of yours or another consultant that you work with on a project, for example, or even just someone passing through where you are found to be legally liable.

Claims can be for personal injury or damage to property, and they may run to a serious amount of money, which you would have to find from your own means, if uninsured.

Your insurance provider may be able to offer this as part of a consultants insurance arrangement, or as an additional extra.

Do you employ anyone?

If you employ anyone or, in certain circumstances, use anyone as a contractor, you may be obliged by law to take out employers’ liability insurance.

This relates to claims for work related accidents and illness sustained by employees in the course of their employment or contract with you for which you are legally liable. Ask you provider about this, as they should be able to help you. If you want to get more interesting details about business consulting insurance, you may visit this site right here.

Do you have any stock or equipment?

If you have valuable stock or equipment, consider speaking to your provider about a contents policy. After all, if the tools of your trade were destroyed in a fire, for example, would you be able to replace them out of your own pocket? Even if you had the spare money, is this what you planned it for? Contents insurance may often cover such costs.

What about professional indemnity insurance?

Depending on what kind of work you do, you may wish to discuss professional indemnity insurance (PII) with your provider.

For example, if you are involved with the provision of professional services, some clients and prospective clients may insist on seeing evidence of your cover before they will give you any business.

As with employers and public claims, damages awarded under this heading can be substantial indeed, and threaten the survival of your business if you do not have adequate cover within or in addition to your business insurance cover.